Thursday, November 7, 2013

Sentencing

Today I met with my Oncologist.  I did not feel anymore intelligent, leaving than when I walked in. In fact, it was pretty confusing and could not keep up with all the information thrown my way.

What did I learn?
Its Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, Grade 3 (aggressive), Stage II (caught early).  The tissue around the tumour tested negative 
My Estrogen and Progesterone receptors tested negative; meaning my cancer is not affected by them
But my HER2 levels (protein) tested positive
About 20-25% of breast cancer patients fall into my category

What that means?
God only knows....

I know I promised myself that I wouldn't Google anything but since I didn't grasp what I heard today, I took a sneak peek online. Don't worry, I am still sane but this is what I learned:
I have a crappy, aggressive form of cancer with a higher chance of recurrence and a lower chance of survival...Fuck...
However, treatments have come a long way and the outcome is much more positive.

Treatment (AKA Sentencing)
Chemotherapy: 6 treatments called FEC-D over a span of 18 weeks.  One treatment will likely last 1 1/2 hours, wait three weeks for my immune system to bottom out, let it return to normal and do it all over again.
Typical side effects include everything you read about

Herceptin: At my fifth chemo treatment, an antibody called Herceptin will be introduced.  It is also administered via IV and that is a total of 18 treatments with a three week break, between each one.

Radiation:  I meet with the Radiation Oncologist tomorrow (not to be confused with a Radiologist) but it will begin right after Chemo.  I am not sure of all the details

Total treatment time?  According to our calculations, 66 weeks

Next steps?

Meet Radiation Oncologist (Dr. C) - a second surgery to remove lymph nodes has not been ruled out and I will get his opinion, look at statistics, etc and make a decision based on that.  If I decide to go ahead, then it will delay treatment 4-6 weeks

Heart test -  just to make sure I can handle all of this

Dentist appointment - Common symptoms include cankers, thrush, etc.  SoI need a good cleaning and advice on oral care

Chemo School - To learn what to expect and how to prepare for it

Have a "Port" inserted - This is a little plastic tube inserted under the skin, connected to a vein.  This is how I will be receiving treatments as opposed to wrecking havoc on my veins

Am I scared??...Hell Ya.  I would be lying if I said I wasn't.  In fact the past week has been a little more of an emotional roller coaster than the usual tilt-a-whirl I prefer in the "carnival of life."  I am used to life being a little more cut and dried.  If there is something wrong, you do the recommended and that's it!  You move on.  And that's the attitude I have despite having two chronic illnesses: Colitis went in remission and Graves Disease has been easily controlled by medication. 

But with cancer, solutions don't seem to be so simple

I keep telling myself that I am not the first woman to go through this...25% of women with breast cancer are in the same boat as me and many are fine.  People have been in worse situations and bounce back beautifully.  It seems treatments used have a higher success rate.  Will it come back?  show up somewhere else? It could and couldn't...Tomorrow one of you could be hit with cancer too.  It shouldn't affect how I live my life.








2 comments:

  1. You are truly an inspiration Jen... keep strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go balls out babe! I got your back, yew can dew eeet!

    ReplyDelete