Wednesday, October 30, 2013

The Verdict

Today was the follow up consultation with my surgeon, Dr. Beaulieu.  She had the results from my lymph node biopsy, bone scan, liver scan and chest X ray. 

No matter how well I thought I had mentally prepared myself for whatever she was going throw in front of me, I felt nausea a couple of hours before my appointment.  My friend Meta (who is like the captain of "Team Jen" and been at the last few appointments) told me had I said that I felt anything different, she would call me liar.

First piece of news:  During surgery, she removed a lump about 2.2 x1.9 x1.9 cm, another benign lump, a minimum of 1 mm of tissue surrounding the lump and 5 (2 were stuck together) lymph nodes.

The verdict?

Two lymph nodes have tested positive for cancer but she will recommend that I do not have surgery.  Ultimately the Oncologist makes the final decision.   2-3 affected lymph nodes are apparently a grey area and she sees there being greater risks involved with surgery vs the benefits of removing the lymph nodes.  Since it had already been decided that I would be having chemo as a preventative and radiation was a no-brainer (just widen the area to target), she doesn't think it will increase or decrease the chance of cancer spreading....I hope to God its a "no" to surgery because an incision in your armpit is one huge pain in the ass and don't even get me started about feeling useless.  Yesterday was my first day back at the gym and it was a big accomplishment to lift 3 lbs over my head.

Now I wait to hear from the Oncologist and it looks like I will be starting treatments by the end of November....Bring it on!

In the interim, the German Virgo will be back in preparation mode....

Now I really have to learn how to take it easy.  That will be the toughest part.  Just my luck, my immune system is going to bottom out during cold/flu season so Good Time Jenny will be on sabbatical.  I have already informed work that I have no intentional of sitting idle so find me something to do from home....and if I want to go into the office, they can all wear masks!

One final piece of news:  My lungs and liver are "exceptional"....Musta got the test results mixed up with someone else


No comments:

Post a Comment