Sunday, November 10, 2013

Eat Your Veggies

I believe diet and exercise plays a crucial role in beating cancer.  A healthy body will help me endure treatments and keep my energy levels up.

I have spent the last 39 years as the poster child of "What Not Eat:"  Red meat, lots of sweets, carbs, salt, fatty foods and very little vegetables.  Often, I would wake up at 2:30 AM, eat 3 ice cream sandwich bars and go back to bed.  I still fight with my mother over not eating my vegetables but since I am taller than her, she can't make me sit at the table until I finish my plate any longer.

Being diagnosed with cancer is a bit of a wake up call.  It's like your body slaps you right across the face and yells; "Hey you idiot.  You know all the bad stuff you have done to me?  Well, pay back is a bitch."

Its time to make some significant changes.

There is no possible way I will ever become a vegetarian.  I do not think it is humanly possible for me.  I have friends who have been urging me to see their Nutritionist but I believe she is a cult leader. I know the changes I need to make to my diet and lifestyle.  I have never made the effort and now is the time.  It isn't going to happen overnight but rather a slow and steady transition.  I have already begun to add cauliflower to my mashed potatoes, eat more chicken, salads and raw vegetables.  I also have cut back considerably on sweets.

Many people ask "Let me know if I can do anything for you"...And I tell them to send me easy recipes that include vegetables but for people that hate the taste of vegetables.

Last week I met with my "Cancer Coach" at the Maplesoft Centre.  I wasn't exactly sure what her role was but expected it to be an orientation of the resources offered at the centre.  Instead, she is a health and wellness professional who helps me set my personal health/wellness goals and creates a game plan to meet these goals.   So we discussed my diet and she gave me a few pointers on how to set metrics and monitor my progress.  In addition to the above, I also feel I do not drink enough water but drink too much coffee instead.

What did I do the minute I left?  I met Bobby for a coffee at Starbucks, then on my way home stopped to have a couple of vodka/cokes with some friends (does ice cubes count?) and finished it off with a bowel of ice cream before bed.

I really am a work in progress

I was impressed with the Maplesoft Centre.  There were so many resources available including nutrition classes, art classes and various fitness classes.  Ok, the laughter yoga and pink swan ballet may be too many of the Pink Ribbon brigade for my liking; but when I feel the on set of becoming a germaphobe, its nice to know I can do Hatha yoga in a "hygienic environment."  I hope to continue using my own gym, except if the regulars are sick ...or worse, in January when all the New Years' resolution people decide to use their annual membership for 3 weeks.

The hardest part will be "taking it easy"  I have never been one to sit still but I have been forewarned that I will be very tired and the cheat sheet provided by the hospital indicates my type of chemo treatments will make me very sick.  When I was read the riot act by my Dr about getting rest and staying away from sick people, the first thought that passed through my head was "How can I host Christmas dinner?"  Then panic struck at the thought of a good band coming to Ottawa and what if I can't go?  I still live in a fantasy land where I don't believe I will be sick nor tired.  I continue living in that fantasy land until the moment I am sick

No comments:

Post a Comment