Friday, June 12, 2015

Life Lessons from an Eight Year Old

Now that I am finished treatments and life is supposed to return to normal.  I decided to complicate it again and start a fundraiser with Jennifer.

Vixens Victorious was created by Jennifer and myself as our way to give back to the community.  So far it has been an incredible learning experience and I am amazed at my drive and determination to make our film festival fundraiser, Lights! Camera! CURE! a success.

But it has not been easy – There have been challenges and successes.  This is a lot of hard work - Even more than I anticipated in order to get things moving and so many little details to consider.  Between my regular job and the fundraiser, I feel like I am working two full time jobs.  There are weeks where I dedicate 15-17 hours during lunch or evenings to this project.  There are sleepless nights, worrying about how we are going to accomplish everything we set out to do and the little hamster in my head, spins constantly in its wheel

Our committee is a great group of girls but I need to constantly remind myself that they have jobs, lives and families.  Although I do push them to remain accountable for what they have agreed to do and respect deadlines, I cannot expect them to live, eat and breathe Vixens Victorious.   I must admit that I get frustrated because being a German Virgo, I like to be in control and know exactly what is happening at all times.  Some days, I wonder if we are taking on too big of a project during our first year and we should have started with a bake sale. 

Last week I received a call from my 8 year old god daughter and she really put things into perspective for me.

Actually she called the week before and I missed her call because I was at a meeting.  I tried calling back without success so I emailed her mother to let her know that I have been very busy but will try to get back in touch soon.  He mom replied that Chelsey had something she wanted to share with me.

The guilt set in and I wished I would have tried harder to reach her.

Five days later, I called Chelsey as soon as she got home from school.  She wanted to tell me that she and her friends sold rainbow loom bracelets to raise money for cancer (research.)  Furthermore, I learned this was her initiative and her parents were not aware of what she was doing. Her mother wanted to donate the amount to our event, Lights! Camera! CURE!

I was completely humbled and ashamed.  I have been so wrapped up in my own world that I have begun to lose sight of what the end goal really is: To selflessly give.  Naturally, I want to raise as much money as possible, but if my contribution is only 1$, then I have still made a difference (please note I really hope it is more than 1$)  An eight year girl took it upon herself to utilize her talents in making bracelets and sell them to people who wanted to help.  I don’t think she cared who bought her bracelets or even how much she sold them for.  Her action plan was simple and her goal of just selling bracelets to raise money for a good cause was front row and centre in her mind.

Furthermore, I delayed getting back to Chelsey, making her wait to share with me her news

We were raised in a faith based home.  Church and Sunday school were part of a routine for me, as it is for Chelsey.  When I think about our call, and how excited she was to tell me; tears form in my eyes.  I am reminded of a line in the Christmas hymn; In the Bleak Midwinter

What can I give him, as poor as I am? 
If I was a shepherd, I would give a lamb….
Yet what can I give?  Give with my heart

I am so proud of her and want to encourage the spirit of giving in her.  If she has started at 8 years old, what can she do when she is 28 years old or 38 years old?

Instead of wondering if we took on too big of a project, I wonder if I possess the right type of leadership skills, to co- direct with Jennifer a project such as this.  I need to learn patience, humility, determination and more compassion than what I have.  It’s something I need to work on.

Again this week, I was further encouraged by my friend Joe.  During a conversation he reminded me how cool it was to be doing something where I am doing something that doesn’t increase my bank account but in the end should make me grow as person. 


Yeah.  He is right. That is pretty cool and I hope Chelsey follows in her aunti Jen's footsteps 


Chelsey and I  - Christmas 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment