Friday, April 11, 2014

Boredom

Not that I ever wish to have another session of chemo again in my life, but recovering from surgery this past week was, in my opinion, more difficult.

At least during chemo, I was completely knocked down for a few days, and wanted to sleep.   The days of muscle pain, I stayed heavily medicated until it passed and could physically function during the sore mouth period.  But it's a whole different ball game when you physically feel alert except for one portion of your body which has a sharp nagging pain, you can't properly shower,  can't lift anything, can't drive and have a drain hanging out of your armpit.  Oh yeah,  and let's not forget it was the longest winter ever and this week has been beautiful weather.  It sucks when you are limited in what you can physically do.

Sitting still isn't one of my many talents.  I get very distracted by even a dirty glass in the sink.   I argue that I am not anal but merely a German Virgo. So imagine how hard it can be to sit still with my arm propped up, watching Netflix.   I was going stir crazy...until I discovered reruns of Good Times.  Boy, does JJ make me laugh!  But eventually I got bored of him too.

On Monday, my nurse yelled at me for lifting a chair. That was nothing!  I had already made the bed and folded laundry.  Things need to get done and I am the only person who will do them the way I like it.  I remind myself of my late great aunt Martha who in her 90s fell out of bed one morning...and it was a good thing because she saw spots under the bed where her home care provider had missed cleaning.

Getting a little "wacky shacky," I decided to do a little shopping at the mall.  I purchased few items which felt like carrying a sack of potatoes on the walk home.  Instead of thrashing around in a change room, decided to try on my new clothes when I got home.   Dumb idea.  First shirt was fine....second?  I can't pull anything on over my head. And it hurt even more taking it off.  Will wait until next week.

I walked out later to meet Sacha for a coffee.  Keeping the drain discreet was a bit of an issue.   No matter which way, it was always bulging out.  If I pinned it to my bra, it looked like a third breast.  Waist line wasn't bad but definitely a major inconvenience when you have to go to the bathroom (especially if you forget to unpin it and then you are back at square one in the pain department.)  So I squeezed the bulb to shrink it, tucked it in the side of my bra, in my armpit....equally as stupid and uncomfortable.  I kept grabbing myself at the Starbucks.

Removing the drain was the weirdest feeling while pulling out the tube.  Not necessarily painful.  Again, I jacked myself up on drugs to minimize the pain as grabbed unto my nurse for dear life.

Life is definitely better without the drain and I can take a full shower but won't be back in full swing for a while.  Guess baseball is off the list if things to do this spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment