Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Perfect Timing

I'm into my second week of sick leave.  The timing was perfect.  I left work absolutely miserable between the mouth sores and the runny nose.  Then as I was leaving, I got an email from another cancer vixen who has chemo two days before me and she had experienced virtually the same side effects.   Not that I would ever want to wish that level of discomfort on anyone but I feel somewhat comforted (in a selfish way) knowing I'm not alone.  I just like to whine.  The oncologist asked if I can handle the side effects.   If not, they can reduce the dosage.   I told her I was fine and bring on the next dose in full force.

In my Christmas care package from Vonda, she added Lipton soup.  I thought it was a little strange but never said anything.  That woman is better prepared than me. Because I couldn't open my mouth, I slurped that soup through a straw... problem solved!

The runny nose turned into a cold or some form of sinus infection which became really annoying.  I began to fear it would delay my next treatment.  The Oncologist explained that with this chemo, my blood cell count can bottom out in as early as four days.  That means a higher chance of getting sick.   Another great reason for taking time off and staying away from people but my blood work today showed a higher white blood cell count than the average person on chemo.  Yay for Neulasta and it's all systems go for tomorrow!  Being the idiot that I am, spent more time mentally preparing what rock shirt I will wear Thursday instead of today's clothes and wore a turtleneck to finally do blood work through my port.  On the plus side I sported a fedora that was always too tight.  Not anymore!  One advantage to having no hair (including no hat head,  bed head and my time to get ready is drastically reduced because I don't have to do anything with my hair)

To be proactive,  I booked private yoga lessons to help manage the muscle pain expected during chemo.  Yes, folks there is yoga in Ladysmith.  Amanda Porter is fantastic and I am  happy to have her on the team.  We talked about my level of activity before and during chemo, the side effects I have experienced,  the level of discomfort, etc.  Then she went through a variety of poses to get my feedback on what will work for me.  Even the cat joined us for yoga.

Last week I noticed my eye lashes were breaking/ falling out.  It somehow bothers me more than losing my hair or eyebrows.  I don't have a reason why.  It just does.  I try to fake it with my Laura Mercier cake liner but it now runs under my eyes and I look like a circa 1970s Alice Cooper within an hour.  On the flip side, my hair is growing back.  I was told by so many people to expect it grow back a different colour, thicker,  or even curly.  Its so  blonde  I didn't even notice until my head was under a certain light.  Rats... I was hoping to hold until the bald look a little while longer.   Part of me wants to shave off what I have and another part of me wants to see how fast I can grow it.  Anyways, I held my legs under the same light and son of a bitch!  Razor came out for the first time since end of November!   That was one of my perks.

Tomorrow is round 5.  I started my steroids which means I will be up all hours of the night.   The food bag is packed and ready to go. Clothes are laid out.  Its an early start and a long treatment as Herceptin will be introduced.  It's also my second last chemo.  There is light at the end of the chemo tunnel.


No comments:

Post a Comment