Monday, December 16, 2013

Round Two

Last Thursday, as the Ratt song goes; I was "Back for More"...

This time I landed at the General and hope to stay there for the duration of my treatments. 

During my stay at the hospital the week prior, I didn't want the nurses to use my port for administering fluids, or blood work.  I still had not grown used to the idea, thought it would hurt, am a baby and expected I would be sent home after a few hours, anyways.  WRONG!!  Now, I still don't have veins left in my arms for my blood work which is required before chemo and being new to this, didn't realize I need to schedule an appointment to use the port to gather blood.  You know there are going to be problems when the lab tech asks if your blood is as stubborn as you are...She had some issues but she finally got what she needed.  When I returned for treatment a few hours later, she shouted across the hall to me "There's the baby!" 

Yes.  Next time use the damn port.

Round 2 was equally uneventful as the first.  Kim and Carolyn joined me for the afternoon festivities and this time I brought the game "Operation" to pass the time  I did have to come to terms with using the port which in the end wasn't so bad.  After applying ice, it was merely a prick...so all that whining for nothing.  My favorite part of being in the hospital is the blanket warmer.  I will be investing in one of those for home soon.

Kim had explained to her kids in the morning that she was being "Aunt Millie's" buddy at the hospital.  Her 2 year old nodded her head with an all knowing look and said "Boobie" - She understands.

Because my white blood cell count (neutrophils) dropped; I needed to start Neulasta injections early to keep it up and not land back in the hospital with a fever or infection.  I spent a good part of my week, trying to ensure this injection was covered by my health insurance.  It's pretty pricey but consists of only one injection after each treatment.  The alternative is 6-10 injections per treatment.  My aversion to needles, made me scramble to get everything organized in time.

The home care nurse came in on Friday to show me how to inject Neulasta.  After explaining it's a slow release and the needle needs to be on a certain angle; I just decided it is for everyone's best interest that I call in a home nurse each time.  I cannot do this to myself and I want a trained professional who has experience with hundreds of patients, jabbing me with a needle.  Carolyn offered to try to help but my guess is I would be picking her off the floor if she made an attempt.

My nurse also explained that often people will come into my life who are sad, negative or try to tell me what they think is best for my well being.   Some of these people you can convert and others, you may have to leave at the side of the road.  He explained that I am the Poster Child for Modern Day Cancer.  Treatments have progressed so much in the last 15-20 years that my rate of survival is super high.  Mix that with the fact I have no nausea, have an appetite like a horse, still pretty active, no fatigue and a really positive attitude; I already have this licked!!  He recommended to keep doing what I am doing and also offered to have a chat with those who try to tell me differently.

One of the side effects associated with Neulasta injections is sore joints because it stimulates bone marrow to produce neutrophils. It wasn't horrible and nothing a little heating pad couldn't fix.

The biggest side effect after this treatment was fatigue.  I have never been knocked down so hard in my life ...Towards the end of receiving chemo last week, I suddenly felt tired.  Kim said it appeared instantly on my face.  I crawled into bed when I got home and spent a good chunk of the weekend sleeping at the farm.  I didn't even care if a cat was walking across my head at night (which is a strange sensation if you have no hair.) 

But I do love Christmas and managed to decorate the tree, wrap some gifts and do a little baking.  Although I am embracing the fatigue since I had not been able to sleep for weeks; I do feel a little guilty not being my usual power house. 

I still feel like I am in La La land today but have been told it should pass in another day or two.  My appetite hasn't subsided and Carolyn took me to a buffet at lunch to satisfy my cravings.  I pushed my way to the roast beef counter like a zombie in search of brains.  I am worried that I will be the size of a house by the time I finish treatments.

One last cute story - I snuck into church yesterday to watch the children rehearse for their Christmas program.  I likely will not attend the actual program since it will be when I am at my lowest point, have a lot of other things happening between Christmas eve and Boxing day, plus it will likely be a cesspool of germs.  Anyways, my cousin's little guy walked out on the stage, saw me in the back and shouted "Hey Auntie Jen!  My daddy took all his hair off for you!  Its true!  I helped him shaved it!"  He then came to my seat, I let him pull off my hat so he could see my head.  He said it looked a little creepy.  I reminded him that he hasn't had front teeth since August.

"That's right!  You have no hair and I have no teeth"

Perfect red neck family

Later that day I received a text from his father - A picture of him with a shaved head and a note that read "Just my way of saying you are not in this alone.  Anything. Anytime.  You call and we will be there."


Sportin' Jen's gift from L.A. and my new Rammstein toque - I felt super rock 'n roll

1 comment:

  1. You know... maybe this will lead you to something new, like WRITING! How can a blog about the crappy world of cancer be enjoyable to read?? Your toothless nephew made me laugh. Thanks for posting...

    ReplyDelete